RULES AND REGULATIONS
Rosehill Cemetery is owned and maintained by the Charter Township of East China. We understand the desire to honor loved ones in a personal way, but do have rules and regulations in place in order to keep the cemetery properly maintained. Typically spring cleanup is performed by Township personnel throughout April and May, with comprehensive cleanup concluding by June 1 of each year. Some important highlights regarding allowable items and grounds maintenance is below. The full ordinance can be read, downloaded and printed online HERE.
- One hanging flower pot may be placed and maintained at the head stones of graves no earlier than May 1, and the contents must be removed no later than October 1 of each year. Decorations will be permitted for holidays falling outside of these dates, but only for one week prior and one week following the holiday. Veteran flags and flag holders shall be governed by the Veterans Administration rules and guidelines. Grave blankets may be placed on graves no earlier than November 1 of each year and must be removed no later than April 1 each year.
- No grading, leveling or excavating within a cemetery shall be allowed without the prior permission of the Township. Furthermore, no tree, shrub, landscaping or similar plantings shall occur without the prior permission of the Township.
- No flowers, shrubs, trees or vegetation of any type shall be planted outside of a hanging flower pot. Any of the foregoing items planted without Township approval will be removed by the Township or the Township Sexton.
- The Township reserves the right to remove or trim any existing trees, plants or shrubs located within a cemetery in the interest of maintaining proper appearance and the use of the cemetery.
- Mounds, bricks, blocks and any borders that hinder the free use of a lawn mower or other gardening apparatus are prohibited.
- The Township DPW shall have the right and authority to remove and dispose of any and all growth, emblems, displays, statues, containers and other items that through decay, deterioration, damage or otherwise become or are unsightly, a source of litter or a maintenance problem.
- Surfaces other than earth or sod are prohibited.
- All refuse of any kind or nature, including, but not limited to, dried flowers, wreaths, papers and plastic flower containers, must be removed from the cemetery within 10 days after a burial.
- No glass containers or items are allowed.
- Except for markers, memorials, flowers, and hanging flower pots expressly allowed by this chapter, and veteran flags as authorized by law, no other item (including, but not limited to, ornaments, signs, trellises, statues, benches, landscaping, bricks, stones, grave border materials or other structures) shall be installed or maintained within a Township cemetery, nor shall any grading, digging, mounding or similar alteration of the ground or earth occur except as authorized by this chapter or by the Township.